[darcs-users] GHC 6.10 compatibility patches

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:33:25 UTC 2008

J. Garrett Morris wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
>> The second patch, however, removing the import of system from
>> src/Exec.lhs seems very, very odd.  It certainly causes the compile to
>> fail for me, and I don't see how it could work for you with this
>> patch, since system is definitely used in this file.  Do you have an
>> explanation for this? Does it really compile for you with the patch
>> you sent?
>
> I hadn't noticed this before, but the version of System.Process
> shipped with GHC 6.10 on Windows includes the 'system' function.

Oops, that is somewhat accidental.  The problem is that System.Process is
in the middle of a transition to a new API, and I didn't get time to
complete the transition.  The current API is a superset of the old API, but
the addition of system and rawSystem to System.Process wasn't intended to
be permanent.  It's too late to fix this now, since this version of the
process package has been released into the wild, but I don't recommend
using System.Process.{system,rawSystem}.

Cheers,
	Simon