[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add cabal file modified from Petr and Gw... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Oct 20 22:37:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 18:10:33 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I'd rather not have duplicate information.  Would you mind if we made
> the cabal file auto-generated, like we do the spec file? Then we'd
> not have duplicate references to the version number.

I certainly appreciate the aversion to duplicate information.  On the
other hand, I would rather not make the kind of people who would most
benefit from a cabal file (packagers, cabal-install users) jump through
any extra hoops to use it.

Things which I would like to aim for
 * cabal install darcs works
 * cabal install from the dist tarball works
 * cabal install from http://darcs.net works

That is, I want to achieve the very smooth progression that Neil M.  was
talking about from installing darcs (the binary), to compiling the darcs
source to one day making a patch.  Also, I am willing to update the
darcs.cabal file at each release if need be (and I think the rest of the
darcs community would be willing to work on maintaining the
dependencies)

So my preference is for a raw cabal file (that we can exploit
straightaway) and in the repository root (where most people expect it).
On the other hand, I would certainly rather have a darcs.cabal.in than
no darcs.cabal at all :-) (and since it's just the version number, this
is not such a big deal)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9