[darcs-users] Darcs as synchronizaion system and huge files.

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Oct 21 21:27:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 01:37:22PM -0500, Kari Hoijarvi wrote:
> To my surprise, darcs 1.0.9 does not delete files from patches folder
> when you obliterate them. [developers, comment this please]. But you can
> delete the patch files if you dare, or you can pull the old repo into a
> new, empty repo.

That's correct. I think first they were left for debugging
purposes. But then there was a slight usefulness in case of hard
links. If you pull the patch back again, and it is unchanged by
the commutations, darcs will reuse the hard link instead of
copying the patch. There was a suggestion for a --clean option
to 'darcs optimize' to remove stale patch files, but I don't
know if it is still relevant for darcs2.