[darcs-users] darcs patch: Hard-code darcs-2.1.0 ChangeLog entries. (and 2 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 00:39:22 UTC 2008

David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:59:10AM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
>> In my longwinded reply to your suggestion about not doing make_changelog,
>> I don't think it may have been clear that I actually supported the move...
>
> Oh my, I certainly hadn't gathered that you were  considering getting rid
> of make_changelog!

As I see it, the requirement is for something like what GNU calls the
"NEWS" file: a "history of user-visible changes".

Currently AIUI this is auto-generated by blacklisting all the changes
that aren't directly visible to users, and just printing anything that's
left.  This is useful because it means that you can't accidentally leave
a user-visible change unmentioned in NEWS, but the downside is that its
a lot of work to maintain the blacklist.

Now, the way *I* would approach this problem would be to make a NEWS
file that's a list of bullet points.  Just before each stable release
(or pre-release), the release manager goes through all the patches since
the last release, and manually writes a new section for the NEWS file.
A final release would replace the preceding pre-release sections.

To me, the big advantage of this approach is that a human author can
easily categorize changes, making the file more useful to end users.
Here's a mockup of what it might look like for the 2.0.2 to 2.1.0 entry.
I haven't bothered to write the full section, just the first few.

    * Changes in Darcs 2.1.0
    ** Behavioural changes
    *** darcs pull --verbose is now less verbose.
    *** If less(1) is installed, it will be tried before more(1) when a
        pager is needed.
    *** darcs changes can now emit patch indexes, which are similar to
        revision numbers in svn and mercurial.
    *** Numerous improvements to --match, including matching patch
        ranges, individual patches by index, patches that touch a
        some file.
    *** darcs --debug-http can now be used at run time to debug problems
        in libcurl/libwww, rather than needing a recompile.

    ** Bug fixes
    *** issue1109: stop progress reports in exec_interactive.
    *** issue1124: test pull.sh failed when run as root
    *** issue1128: must call execSendmail inside body of withOpenTemp
    *** issue1131: accept download requests for different files.

    ** Build infrastructure changes
    *** ghc -hide-all-packages is now on by default.
    *** prefer regexp-compat to (obsolete) text module.
    *** configure now checks for Network.URI.
    *** curl pipelining is now on by default.