[darcs-users] Separating the user manual and code

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Oct 23 17:51:06 UTC 2008

> When Eric invited me to become documentation manager, I mentioned that
> one of the first things I'd do is push for physically separating the
> user manual from the actual code.  Because this was probably done in IRC
> just before one of us went to bed, it got forgotten about.  I'd like to
> put the issue on the table here on the list and solicit discussion.

As one of the non-Haskell people who hacked on the documentation, I
support this. I didn't know Latex and had no other real use or interest
to learn. Further, I had difficulty getting the Latex toolchain
installed where I had my darcs repo.

It would have been easier for me to update the docs if they were
separate, and may have also been easier on the maintainers, since
my Latex sometimes needed syntax corrections.

Someone suggested using "rst" for the new format. I'm a fan of those
wiki-like formats that show some of the presentation aspects when
viewed as plain text. I would support rst as a documentation format.

I also agree about keeping the technical documentation with the code.

    Mark