[darcs-users] wiki updates

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Oct 24 22:15:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:57:37 -0700
Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:

> I cleaned up the first two sections on the http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/FrontPage
>   and the first two sections on http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/CategoryBinaries
>   a bit, re-consolidating download links in one place and trimming
> stale/excess info. As better windows binaries become available, please
> update those windows download links.
>
> I realised we have build instructions duplicated on the wiki and in
> the manual (and on darcs.net), and the darcs intro blurb duplicated on
> the wiki front page and darcs.net. We can probably trim some more to
> follow the Do not Repeat Yourself principle.

That's good to a point, but marketing and documentation are not programming.

I think of all the times that a software project helpful reminds a user the
basics of checking code with "svn", or installing software with "apt-get".  The
DRY principle would suggest that this documentation should only exist in those
manuals, and everything else should refer to it.

What's more important here is that we are organized and intentional about the duplication,
and perhaps the project has fallen away from that a bit.

Thanks for your help with these clean-ups Simon-- it sounds like you are headed in a useful and helpful direction.

    Mark