[darcs-users] darcs patch: enable global cache by default

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 27 01:35:39 UTC 2008

> Sun Oct 26 15:40:07 PDT 2008  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
>   * resolve issue0839: enable global cache by default

I'm generally in favor of this. Would having an optional max-cache size to
feasible to implement?

I think I would still support this change without that addition, because having
the cache on default helps darcs to "just work well" by default in common
cases.

Since the cache is going to be created automatically, and it could potentially
grow very large, I might consider putting a short README file in the directory
when it is created:

"Darcs uses this cache to improve performance. It is safe to remove any file
here as an attempt to free up space. You can also remove the directory
completely to disable the cache. "

Or perhaps that's overkill and we should expect users to read about the cache
in the manual when they find that this directory has become larger than they
would like.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/