[darcs-users] darcs patch: enable global cache by default

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 03:29:35 UTC 2008

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> writes:

>> Sun Oct 26 15:40:07 PDT 2008  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
>>   * resolve issue0839: enable global cache by default
>
> I'm generally in favor of this. Would having an optional max-cache size to
> feasible to implement?
>
> I think I would still support this change without that addition, because having
> the cache on default helps darcs to "just work well" by default in common
> cases.
>
> Since the cache is going to be created automatically, and it could potentially
> grow very large, I might consider putting a short README file in the directory
> when it is created:
>
> "Darcs uses this cache to improve performance. It is safe to remove any file
> here as an attempt to free up space. You can also remove the directory
> completely to disable the cache. "

+1 to that suggestions.  I would probably call it "0-README.txt" or
something so that it is usually sorted above the patches themselves
(which IIRC start with hexadecimal digits).

Regardless of the presence of a README file, I think it's important to
tell the user when the cache is automatically created "I'm creating a
cache at <place>, because <reason>.  Prevent this with 'touch
~/.darcs/sources'."