[darcs-users] Help with team upgrade on Windows

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:37:31 UTC 2008

"Yitzchak Gale" <gale at sefer.org> writes:

> I wrote:
>> I need to upgrade my team to Darcs 2...
>
> Oh, and then there's the server. It's running Debian
> stable - which means etch for the time being, until
> lenny finally gets released :). So is there a darcs2
> backport for etch? I don't see any mention of it on the
> Binaries wiki page.

Official (meaning backports.org) backports are listed on
http://packages.debian.org/darcs.  As you can see, there aren't any for
Etch.  I believe backports.org is volunteer-driven; perhaps you'd like
to get involved and create a backport?

> If there isn't a backport, would it work to just run one
> of those generic staticly-linked linux binaries on etch?

I believe that generally works for Darcs, though you might get exciting
libc version mismatch hell (IIRC that's not statically linked even in
most statically linked binaries).

> Note that the GHC 6.8.3 binary doesn't run - the GHC
> team says that the the current stable version of Debian
> is "too old".

Well yes, the normal procedure for making a static binary would be to
compile it on a modern machine, not on the actual target Etch machine.

> If none of the above options is possible, I'm afraid the
> server might have to stay with the etch package, at 1.0.9rc1.
> And that would mean that 2.1.0 is out of the question on
> the Windows machines until lenny is released.

The program Darcs 2 is backwards compatible with Darcs 1 repository
format (called "old-fashioned-inventory").  Even if you can't upgrade
all hosts to use the Darcs 2 program, you will still get a superior
experience by upgrading some hosts to the Darcs 2 program while keeping
your repositories in old-fashioned-inventory format.