[darcs-users] darcsweb 1.1

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 02:34:15 UTC 2008

I'm being irascible again...

Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:
>> http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=darcs-stable;a=headblob;f=/src/OldFastPackedString.hs
>
> PS interesting to compare the darcsweb+pygments source view with that of
> HsColour:
>
> http://joyful.com/repos/darcs-stable/api-doc/src-OldFastPackedString.html
>
> I like how hscolour defines linkable anchors for each line. I like how
> pygment displays the line numbers. I don't think I like it's purple
> colouring of both types and keywords, but maybe it will grow on me.
> I like that hscolour generates static html, which is more easily served,
>   but I'm sure darcsweb/pygments could be made to do that too.

I find the overuse of colour and the heavy bolding in the first one
rather hard to read.  IME fixed-width oblique typefaces also tend to
look icky; I kinda like a2ps' default style of making comments
variable-width (assuming you feel the urge to mess with the typeface).

I also don't like the red border around square brackets; if you're gonna
use CSS, it seems to me that the obvious and best way to do parens is
with paste.lisp.org-style paren-matching hover voodoo.

Example: wave your mouse around the text on
http://paste.lisp.org/display/69375 and watch the background colours
appear and disappear around parens.