[darcs-users] darcs patch: Generate SRC_DIRS programmatically. (and 8 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 03:03:50 UTC 2008

This is a subset of my outstanding 50-or-so makefile fixes, the last
two patches in this list, plus their dependencies.  Eric has already
reviewed some (all?) of these and recommended they be applied.

I re-recorded the last two patches because they conflicted with some
patches from the sprint, and I'd like them to be applied soonish
because I suspect they will continue to cause (spurious) conflicts.

Thu Oct 23 13:42:12 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Generate SRC_DIRS programmatically.

  The -name sys -prune -o ... -print part is a hack to skip the
  src/win32/sys, which is probably safe to include in the list, but I
  didn't want to take any chances.

Thu Oct 23 14:01:39 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Obviate SRC_DIRS altogether.

  Note that find -delete would be better, but it is not standard:
  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/find.html

Thu Oct 23 14:09:02 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * DARCS_FILES_DEPS is never bound, so don't evaluate it.

Thu Oct 23 14:34:09 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Tweak C_OBJS declaration.

Thu Oct 23 14:40:44 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Replace procedural := with declarative =.

  When you do "x = a b" in make, it doesn't get evaluated until you
  actually attempt to refer to $x in a rule, because make is an expert
  system.  The reason := exists is because if you do

      f = $(shell really-slow-command)

  and then try to build a bunch of object files, $f will cause
  really-slow-command to be run separately for each one.  Since we're
  just doing internal stuff like $(patsubst), we don't need := and using
  it makes it harder to reason about the system, because it's no longer
  declarative.

Thu Oct 23 16:09:26 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Miscellaneous refactoring.

Sat Oct 25 12:08:03 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Generate DARCS_FILES by blacklist, not whitelist.
  This attempt is far from perfect, but at least it works.

Wed Oct 29 13:53:26 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Make .hs of trivial .lhs files.

Wed Oct 29 13:54:07 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Make .hs.in of trivial .lhs.in files.