[darcs-users] [Haskell-cafe] Poll: Do you need to be able to build darcs from source on GHC 6.6?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Oct 29 15:01:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:17:35AM -0000, Mitchell, Neil wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> I believe the major darcs issue is the changed GADT implementation
> between 6.6, so that neither 6.6 or 6.8 is a superset/subset of the
> other - leading to a situation where they have to use a common subset of
> both.

No, the 6.6 gadts are nicer than the 6.8 gadts, but the common subset
is pretty large.  Duncan has the issue right: it's the desire to
reduce the number of dependencies that's at issue.  And as far as
bundled versions, it's the desire to *remove* a bundled version that's
apparently at issue.  I'm not sure why this is considered desirable,
but apparently some folks feel strongly about this.

David