[darcs-users] darcs patch: rewrite partitionFL and partitionRL to reduce the numb...

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Oct 29 20:35:32 UTC 2008

Hi David,

No rush to deal with this one, I'm just sending it in case you want to
and so that others can review it.

This addresses a different quadratic blowup I found when running
whatsnew -sl on a directory with lots of files in it. It's a nice
advert for type witnesses being very helpful in creating confidence
in a refactoring.

Ganesh

Tue Oct 28 22:28:41 GMT 2008  Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
  * rewrite partitionFL and partitionRL to reduce the number of commutes they do

  This patch avoids a quadratic blowup when most/all patches fail the predicate
  - previously they would all be commuted past each other. Now we accumulate them
  until a patch that passes the predicate comes along, and then only commute as
  necessary.