[darcs-users] darcs patch: rewrite partitionFL and partitionRL to reduce the numb...

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Oct 29 23:02:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> No rush to deal with this one, I'm just sending it in case you want to
> and so that others can review it.
>
> This addresses a different quadratic blowup I found when running
> whatsnew -sl on a directory with lots of files in it. It's a nice
> advert for type witnesses being very helpful in creating confidence
> in a refactoring.

Yes, the GADT stuff makes refactoring quite nice.

I looked at this patch bundle, I don't really see any problems with
it, but I didn't look that closely.  Do you think it would be hard to
write QuickCheck properties that compare the new implementation with
the old one?  My reasoning is this: the old implementation was simpler
and easier to inspect, so we can use it as a test answer oracle with
reasonable confidence.

Thanks!
Jason