[darcs-users] Review: improve front page of http://darcs.net

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 02:43:14 UTC 2008

Eric P. Mangold <teratorn at gmail.com> writes:

> Wed Oct 29 20:40:49 CDT 2008  Eric P. Mangold <teratorn at gmail.com>
>   * improve front page of http://darcs.net
>   I was a little confused by the wording on the darcs.net front-page.
>   Where it says "Originally developed by David Roundy" that made me
>   think that Mr. Roundy might not be involved in development anymore.
>   The kind folks on IRC set me straight, however :)
>
>   So I improved the wording in a couple places and added a section that
>   says a few things about the current state of the development
>   community.

Thanks for helping out!  Are you interested in volunteering more time to
work on darcs documentation?

> New patches:
>
> [improve front page of http://darcs.net
> Eric P. Mangold <teratorn at gmail.com>**20081030014049
>  I was a little confused by the wording on the darcs.net front-page.
>  Where it says "Originally developed by David Roundy" that made me
>  think that Mr. Roundy might not be involved in development anymore.
>  The kind folks on IRC set me straight, however :)
>
>  So I improved the wording in a couple places and added a section that
>  says a few things about the current state of the development
>  community.
> ] hunk ./doc/index.html.in 53
>            <h2>Smart</h2>

> -          based on a unique algebra of patches. </p>

This part sounds fine, as long as we're OK with referring to a page in
the manual by number.  I'm a bit nervous about that, because rearranging
the manual could cause node9 to become node3 or node12.  Is there a
related article on the wiki which could be linked to instead?  Wiki
articles have semantic names and are thus less likely to change.

> hunk ./doc/index.html.in 56
> -          in ways that would otherwise not be possible. Learn
> +          in ways that would otherwise not be possible. For example, learn
> +
> +          <h2>Going Places</h2>
> +          <p>First released in 2003, Darcs is now managed by a sizable
> +          team of programmers (including David). Daily improvements,
> +          combined with tight quality control, culminate in frequent
> +          releases.</p>

This part sounds fine to me.