[darcs-users] darcs.net home page proposal

Eric P. Mangold teratorn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:23:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Florent Becker
<florent.becker at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first message on the list. I'm a darcs user since more than
>> 1 year, and recently I have been contemplating using other DVCS
>> software for my work. So, I tried Mercurial, Git and Bazaar, and in
>> the process, I realised that darcs had obvious advantages that I had
>> never been aware of.

Hi! :)

I think the current "Distributed" paragraph should not be changed.
It's very important for people who are not fully familar with *what* a
distributed revision-control system actually *is*: "Every user has
access to the full command set, removing boundaries between server and
client or committer and non-committers." That is clear, to the point,
and it points one of the *key* features of distributed RCSs: removing
artificial boundaries between people.

I would would also leave the word "Smart" in the title. And I would
leave the "Smart" section in, also (albet with the patch I recently
submitted, which clarifies the wording and links to the "theory of
patches" page).

This is all about *image*. Website visitors don't *have* to know how
patch theory works. All you really want them to do is go "Oh, that's
neat" and move along. They might click the link and go look at some of
the equations on the patch theory page, then click "Back". That's
fine. That's what you want them to do.

Marketing is all about *differentiation*. And this is a major selling
point, even if most people don't know how it works.

That said, I *would* like to see some extra links that actually talk
about the practical benefits enabled by having a patch-based workflow.
The "spontaneous branches" page is a step in the right direction. Is
there anything else we can readily link to?

I like the new "Simple" paragraph, but where is the 5 minute tutorial?

-Eric