[darcs-users] darcs patch: add exception to haskell_policy.sh for D... (and 61 more)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Oct 30 18:10:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:17 AM, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 07:50:32PM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:30:12 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
>> > I want to see benchmarks too, but I thought I would justify why we
>> > expect this to be no slower than the previous code...Everything below
>> > is stuff that we discussed during the Sprint.
>>
>> Well, attached is a second set of comparative timing tests, sorry, only
>> run once and with no nice output yet.  Hopefully you can use a graphical
>> diff tool to do side by side comparison.
>>
>> A nice little summariser script, maybe using the Haskell tabular
>> library might be handy
>
> Unless you've named them wrong, it looks like salvo-9b has on the an effect
> of slowing darcs down, when it has any significant effect.  That doesn't
> sound like a good optimization...  It'd also be good to test against
> pre-salvo-8 with or without bytestring.

We ran 1 test in each scenario.  That's hardly telling.  The 10% to
20% you cite could easily just be noise, the truth is we can't know
without better/more data.  The fact that we have so little data
coupled with it being so close could equally be used to argue that the
performance has not changed.

Thanks,
Jason