[darcs-users] darcs patch: refactor Slurpy to common up name compon... (and 9 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Oct 30 21:31:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

> OK, I've now benchmarked this work on the GHC repo in kowey's
> zoo, and the overall picture suggests significant speedups (20% or
> so) on most of the tests (get, pull, unpull, record, unrecord,
> revert), with possible slowdowns in whatsnew and get-lazy of
> about 10%.

My apologies for lazy benchmarking. This is all complete rubbish, as I
should have realised if I stopped to think about what was getting faster
and whether it was plausible.

After some more careful runs thanks to kowey's scripts, the basic
conclusion is that there isn't any obvious (>5%) difference in performance
either way, although in general the new code is probably a bit faster than
the old code.

I will run more stuff overnight just in case, but I won't bother reporting
the results unless they show something that contradicts the above.

Ganesh