[darcs-users] darcs patch: add exception to haskell_policy.sh for D... (and 61 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 31 12:05:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 07:55:28 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> Except that we *know* that the new code without that indirection layer is
> still slower than OldFastPackedString in some tests.  Which means that
> there's an unresolved performance problem with bytestrings.  Or perhaps
> it's a new regression, rather than a remaining regression.

As I understand it, you are still intending [*] to apply this patch
bundle.  Doing so would be really great so that we can clear up this
logjam and get back to hacking :-)

We should probably forget about the actual performance details for now,
and just think of this as modernising the code to use the new API.  The
cleaner code can be used as a basis for future optimisation work that
will let us catch up and surpass any regressions.

Note that I have fossilised a copy of both pre and post salvo 8 darcses,
so performance forensics are always possible after the fact.  I will
attach context files and some new numbers (with new bytestring, and
taking the minimum across three runs, not the mean) later.

Meanwhile, is there anything we can do to help?

[*] http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-October/015291.html