[darcs-users] darcs patch: add exception to haskell_policy.sh for D... (and 61 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 31 14:30:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:22:57 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I'm pushing this patch set now, in spite of its low quality.

Thanks! (no comments on the quality)

> Performance patches are *always* low priority, and should therefore
> should only be made when they are both certain to be correct and
> have been tested to actually improve performace.  This patch set
> violates both principles.

Again, this was my mistake.  That is, I presented this patch bundle as a
performance patch, when in fact, it is nothing more than an
API-modernisation patch (with the apparant cost of some regressions,
more data later).  This benefits of this patch, performance regressions
notwithstanding, is that it will make the darcs code more familiar and
approachable to the wider community.  This will pay off in the long run!

Now that we have almost a fire-and-forget mechanism for generating
performance numbers, we can knuckle down and figure out ways to catch
up.