[darcs-users] learning from other projects's development processes (was: darcswatch ideas (was: growing the darcs team))

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Sep 3 12:18:12 UTC 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 16:17 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:

>> Here is a randomly selected example:
>>
>> http://divmod.org/trac/ticket/2641
>
> Perhaps that's a bad example?  I went to the link but I don't see the
> patch contents or see an obvious way to download the patch.

See the text "[16368]" in that ticket?  It hyperlinks to the patch
that fixed the issue that the ticket was about.

Oh, but I guess you want to see a patch that was contributed in file
form instead of being committed into the revision control
repository.  Let's see...

Here's one:

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3332

Looking at this you can see that the ticket was opened by a
contributor who didn't have SVN access, so he (ericf) attached the
patch as an attachment.  Then other people who had SVN access created
an SVN branch to record the history of the changes to this patch/
issue.  Then over time various people contributed reviews and
changes.  During this process the original contributor, ericf,
submitted several more patches as attachments to this ticket.

Finally the (now much improved) patch was committed to trunk.

Twisted follows a strict policy that no patches are committed to
trunk unless all of the code that they touch is thoroughly tested,
there is an automated test demonstrating the problem or need and
demonstrating that the patch fixes the problem or satisfies the need,
and the patch has been reviewed by a developer other than its author.

Regards,

Zooko