[darcs-users] darcs patch: Optionally replace curses binding with "... (and 1 more)

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:52:06 UTC 2008

Contributing to the review.

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:41:25 +0200, me at mornfall.net wrote:
> (As for cabalisation, the current primary aim is to get native Windows builds
> more easily.

Cabalisation or no, I think the general trend of allowing Haskell
packages to one day replace our own C bindings is a positive trend.
It will make our code cleaner one day, and will help more people to
build darcs.

> -getTermNColors :: IO CInt
> +getTermNColors :: IO Int

At first I was wondering why you could just change the type like that,
but then I saw that our only use of getTermNColors (in ColorPrinter)
basically just expects any instance of Ord.

As a nitpick, I think I would have done this in two patches, one that
does the type-refactor, and one that adds the new terminfo
functionality.

> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>**20080901060519] hunk ./configure.ac 548
>      fi
>  fi
>
> -dnl Check for libcurses...
> +dnl Check for libcurses/terminfo...

With Ganesh's changes, we still prefer libcurses, only using terminfo if
(a) curses is not available (b) terminfo is available and (c) the user
has not explicitly deselected it.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9