[darcs-users] growing the darcs team

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Sep 3 20:20:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

"Eric Y. Kow" <eric.kow at gmail.com> writes:
> Perhaps.  Indeed, one month feature releases look a bit too ambitious,
> but putting release candidates on a monthly cycle seems sensible.
please, pretty please, just don't call them release candidates... I know Linux
(the kernel) does it that way, but we don't have to copy every bad
practice... ; - )

Release candidate is a version of software, that is likely to become a release,
unless critical issues are found. What you mean is an alpha release -- mostly a
development snapshot that have gotten some basic field testing and is intended
for testing a piece of in-development software. When feature-completeness is
reached, betas are released, where it is expected that bugs are gradually
fixed, until it is considered stable enough for a release. *Then* you make a
release candidate, and if testing doesn't show release-blocking problems, you
re-pack the same rc tree as a release. If you find any (critical) problems, you
fix them, make another rc and wait for testers again.

Does that make sense? (That's why it's a release *candidate*: it is trying to
become a release...)

Yours,
   Petr.