[darcs-users] darcs patch: make test-running targets & docs a littl... (and 1 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Sep 4 23:09:01 UTC 2008

Sorry, this one came while my email was broken (thank you anti-spammers!).

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
> I'm resending some patches from http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=darcs-sm
> that didn't get a response. This bundle contains two patches with darcsweb
> diff links for easier viewing, and some more description. Feedback welcome.
>
> Wed Aug  6 21:03:23 PDT 2008  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
>  * make test-running targets & docs a little clearer
>
> As a newcomer trying to make myself useful by running tests, I found the
> makefile test targets ("check test", "tests", "bugs", "unit" which only
> builds the tests, and various "test_" targets) non-obvious. This patch
> introduces slightly more mnemonic and future-proof "unittests" and
> "functests" targets, and updates the docs.
>
> http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=darcs-sm;a=commitdiff;h=20080807040323-3c3f9-e00fff45c938b6f074bf5720acf5edfdcdcbc687.gz

I find your refactored targets more confusing, sorry.  make check or
make test seems perfectly intuitive to me.  In fact, they're standard
targets.

> Thu Aug  7 01:43:43 PDT 2008  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
>  * "make bench" runs performance tests
>
> This patch addes a "bench" target and trivial harness for running the
> tests in bench/. There's only one, but this seems like something we want
> to increase.

I don't see this as a particularly good direction to go.  Let's not
codify this approach to creating a benchmark suite unless someone
decides it's worth working on.  As I understand things, there are
people working on other benchmarking projects.

David