[darcs-users] darcs-server confusion!

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:53:57 UTC 2008

"Eric Y. Kow" <eric.kow at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Daan,
>
> I was wondering if you were still supporting darcs-server.
>
> On two occasions recently, we have had new darcs users getting confused
> because they thought they had to install darcs-server to make darcs work
> remotely.
>
> The reality is that you can darcs get/pull over ssh or http without any
> software on the remote end.  Also if you want to darcs push over ssh,
> you need only have darcs installed.
>
> Darcs-server comes in handy when you want to push/apply patches over
> HTTP, or when you want to let other people do stuff over ssh without
> having to create new accounts for them.
>
> Otherwise, I think it may obscure the reality for many users that darcs
> over http/ssh is actually quite easy to do.  What do think we could do
> to make things less confusing?
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.S: As an informal poll, are there any darcs-server users around?  It
> might be nice to have some sort of push-over-http feature one day, but
> it likely isn't going to be a high priority for a while.

As the maintainer of Debian's Darcs integration, I plan to remove the
"darcs-server" package from Debian real soon now.  The darcs-server.cgi
file (which is essentially all that package contains) will move to
/usr/share/doc/darcs/contrib/ or similar.

http://bugs.debian.org/339770

The rationale is:

- I don't know how to run it, and nobody responded to my request for
  help (with respect to testing it), http://bugs.debian.org/486192

- According to popcon, only five people use it,
  http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=darcs

- It blocks the inclusion in Debian of a separate "darcs-server" package
  from equational.org, http://bugs.debian.org/490281