[darcs-users] performance regression testing (Was: darcs patch: make test-running targets & docs a littl... (and 1 more))

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:28:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> PS: I have heard that is is unfortunately difficult to install on
>    GHC 6.6 for silly reasons.  But I also think that if we're going to
>    do performance testing, we might as well use the latest stable GHC,
>    so I am not too concerned about this for now.  If people agree that
>    we should go ahead and do this, I think Ganesh might have a couple of
>    small patches to send.

I think this is a very bad idea.  If benchmarking is going to be
useful, it really should run with different versions of ghc.  This
might, for instance, have allowed us to catch the huge ghc 6.8
regression before ghc 6.8.2.  But then, since I'm not likely to have
time to contribute to maybench, it's probably not a big deal whether
or not I'm able to run it.  Still, restricting your users to haskell
early-adopters only doesn't seem like the best plan.

David