[darcs-users] Darcs 2 compatibility with version 1 (was Help with darcs push)

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:25:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> Hi Elliot,
>
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 22:10:06 -0700, Elliott Slaughter wrote:
>> I managed to bypass this for personal use by copying darcs 2.0.2 into
>> ~/bin, and adding ~/bin to my PATH in ~/.profile. However, this
>> doesn't work for non-interactive logins (e.g. when calling darcs push)
>> since bash won't read ~/.profile.
>
> As Gaëten suggests, you should try putting the path .bashrc (somewhere
> near the top).  I and several darcs users have been in a similar
> situation, so please be assured that something like this /can/ be made
> to work! :-)

Another possible solution would be to upgrade the darcs installation.
(While I don't have the administrative privileges to do this, I can
bug the administrators about it.)

My question is (so that I can feel justified recommending upgrading to
darcs 2), is darcs 2 completely compatible with darcs 1? If there are
users on the server that still use darcs 1 and darcs 1 style
repositories, would they notice any difference if the version
installed suddenly changed to version 2?

Thanks again.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." -
Frank Herbert