[darcs-users] Bug in darcs-2, using darcs-1 repo format

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Mon Sep 15 20:59:52 UTC 2008

Hi Jason

thanks for the prompt response.

Jason Dagit wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Ben Franksen
> <benjamin.franksen at bessy.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just when I finally got our sysadmin to install darcs-2.0.2 on our
>> development machine(s), after having tested darcs-2 with our old-style
>> darcs-1 repos for more than two months and finding nothing
>> problematic, ..... I start getting errors about darcs being unable to
>> record some changes.
>>
>> Digging a bit deeper, it seems that after a 'rm <file>' darcs
>> sometimes 'forgets' to note that the file's content has been removed as
>> well. It then complains that it cannot remove the file without first
>> removing its content, refusing to record the changes. A 'darcs whatsnew
>> -s' reveales that indeed the 'rm <file>' is pending, but the hunk that
>> deletes the content has disappeared.
>>
>> This seems to happen only if one records other changes in the meantime
>> (i.e. between removing the file and trying to record the removal). Even
>> though the error occurred many times over the last two weeks, I was not
>> able to reproduce it in a small example repo. Very strange.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this? I searched the bug tracker but couldn't
>> find anything related. Maybe I didn't use the right search term.
>
> Does this sound like your bug?
> http://bugs.darcs.net/issue693

Yes, this sound like it is the same. We even had similar issues with broken
repositories after failed records. Fortunately, only local development
branches were affected which we could simply throw away w/o loosing
important work.

> Our bug tracker can be hard to search, if for no other reason than
> you're expected to know our (sometimes obscure) terminology for
> things.  In this case, I knew the bug ticket would talk about
> 'pending'.

Ok, hint saved for next time ;-)

> Thanks for the feedback.  I hope we can track this down and squash it
> for the 2.0.3 release that will be here soon.

Fixing this would be /very/ much appreciated. I agree with Zooko (in his
initial report on the related/identical issue815): this is the first
serious problem I have encountered with darcs-2 (on old-style repos) so
far.

Cheers
Ben