[darcs-users] the latest test failures on Windows

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Sep 18 14:01:25 UTC 2008

It looks like the Windows tests are now running to completion.

http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/zooko%20allmydata%20virtual2%
20Windows-XP%20i386/builds/68/steps/test/logs/stdio

There are a few interesting failures.  The first one, "Cannot write
\:Is a directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 155."
seems likely to be a bug in the test code, possibly having to do with
forward vs. back slashes.

The second one, "darcs.exe: setCooked: failed (failed to set
buffering)" is, in my opinion, probably a bug in darcs -- it should
probably gracefully handle the case that one of its input or output
pipes is the kind of thing that doesn't allow the setting of buffering.

Here's another one:

match..................................Can't remove directory temp/
temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/_darcs/
patches: Directory not empty at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/ExtUtils/
Command.pm line 105

This looks like it is probably one of the common problems when
porting unixy code to Windows: that you cannot delete a file on
Windows if that file is being held open.  You have to close files
before you can delete them on Windows.

I guess the next step on that would be to see if the perl "match"
test can be changed to close all file handles before trying to rm -rf
the "temp/temp/temp" directory.

Regards,

Zooko
---