[darcs-users] the latest test failures on Windows

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 22 00:48:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:01:25 -0600, zooko wrote:
> There are a few interesting failures.  The first one, "Cannot write
> \:Is a directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 155."
> seems likely to be a bug in the test code, possibly having to do with
> forward vs. back slashes.

I don't seem to get this error on my Windows virtual machine, for what
it's worth.  I'm using the Perl 5.6 that comes with MSYS.

I notice that the tests that are failing have complaints about paths
like /tmp:
  darcs.exe: /tmp/ZTPHrDat12/temp1: createDirectory

Is it possible the Perl that comes with Cygwin has libraries that output
Unixy paths?  Perhaps a workaround is to somehow tell Cygwin that its
/tmp is actually C:\tmp because on Windows, the path '\' refers to the
root of the current drive.

> The second one, "darcs.exe: setCooked: failed (failed to set
> buffering)" is, in my opinion, probably a bug in darcs -- it should
> probably gracefully handle the case that one of its input or output
> pipes is the kind of thing that doesn't allow the setting of buffering.

Yep.  It likely will not happen for 2.0.3 though
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1062

> match..................................Can't remove directory temp/
> temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/temp/_darcs/
> patches: Directory not empty at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/ExtUtils/
> Command.pm line 105

Mark, any comments?  The put.pl test may be a nice small case to look
at.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9