[darcs-users] darcs patch: Check for filepath package in configure. (and 4 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Sep 22 16:50:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 04:34:01PM +0000, E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> This implements a minimal check to help future repositories avoid issue53
> trouble.
>
> Note that this uses the System.FilePath package, but /only/ to do the
> Windows filepath validity check... which is as far as I think we should
> take it for darcs 2.0.3.

Note that this is a new build requirement.

> I can admit openly that I have somewhat nefarious albeit slow and *cautious*
> plans for extending our use of System.FilePath in darcs.  For example, I agree
> that it is a bad idea to use System.FilePath in our representation of patch
> filepaths.  But I also think that we could start with some code that 'merely'
> interacts with the real world (for example, creating temporary files) and
> gradually move on to intergrating this with our path-fixing code.

I'd prefer that if we refactor our path-handling code that we do so in
a way that makes use of the type system to improve our type safety.
In particular, because so many of our paths are not file paths at
all.

> In any case, now we're just worrying about Windows validity, and this I
> think is the way to go about it.

Sounds reasonable, applied.  I'll see about pushing after my
currently-running push finished (or fails?).

> P.S. I think I could re-send this without the refactor as well.

Did you indeed have future plans for that refactor? I'll see if I can
push without the refactor, unless I hear some compelling reason for it
to go in.  In any case, I'd rather not introduce a new function and a
new data type, both of which are only used once.

David