[darcs-users] darcs patch: simplify patches in rollback.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Sep 24 16:47:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 03:31:06PM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:30:11 -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > I'll be pushing this soon.  It's a feature benefit in rollback, which
> > has an effect if you're rolling back more than one patch at a time.
> > It makes rollback combine non-commuting hunks etc when possible before
> > prompting.  This means you can now rollback a single large patch using
> > several small patches without ever being prompted for the changes that
> > have already been rolled back.  Handy when using rollback (so much
> > improved, now!) for tracking down bugs.
>
> That sounds nice.  Unfortunately, I don't think I understand what this
> patch really does and how it works.
>
> When you say incrementally, you mean in interactive mode, right?  I
> didn't think it was possible to rollback the same patch in more than one
> go.  My best interpretation is that we coalesce the effects into big
> 'islands' so that darcs asks you to make fewer rollback decisions, but
> that sounds like a really shaky explanation to me.

I meant by incrementally was using multiple calls to rollback.

Your explanation is essentially correct, but the key to its large
usefulness is that when the rollback involves both a patch and its
inverse, the decision disappears, so that you don't keep getting
prompted for changes that you've already rolled back.

In any case, the easy explanation is that we do our best to reduce the
number of primitive changes you're prompted for.

David