[darcs-users] heads up: upcoming darcs will use darcs-2 format by default

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Sep 24 18:06:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> With David has recently made some new patches to enable the darcs-2
> format by default.  I have reviewed the patches, and feel that they are
> both straightforward and correct.
>
> So: I am now leaning very strongly making the switchover *now*, that is
> for the upcoming release instead of waiting till 2009.  What this means
> is that
>
>  * the next release in (early October) will be darcs 2.1.0
>  * darcs init will create darcs-2 repositories by default
>
> Note that users will still be able to force old format repositories with
> init --old-fashioned-inventory and --hashed

I can think of 2 reasons to wait:
1. We have all these great bug fixes ready to go, maybe they should be
released as such with as few functional changes as possible.
2. This disrupts the roadmap (http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Roadmap).  I
know I haven't finished my chunk of the 2.1 milestone, but I've also made a
lot of progress since 2.0.2.  How about others?

Neither of these reasons are huge, but are worth weighing.

Thanks,
Jason