[darcs-users] heads up: upcoming darcs will use darcs-2 format by default

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Sep 25 01:36:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:01:32 +0100
Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> With David has recently made some new patches to enable the darcs-2
> format by default.  I have reviewed the patches, and feel that they are
> both straightforward and correct.
>
> So: I am now leaning very strongly making the switchover *now*, that is
> for the upcoming release instead of waiting till 2009.  What this means
> is that
>
>  * the next release in (early October) will be darcs 2.1.0
>  * darcs init will create darcs-2 repositories by default

I support both these decisions. People tend to follow default settings, and the
darcs-2 format will give users the best experience. Naming it "2.1" makes it
easy to remember and talk about when this happened, (compared to "2.0.3").
Incrementing version numbers is free, and a "major" version number release is a
good time to do a round of blogging and marketing for darcs, which seem
somewhat missed with the 2.0 release, despite it being a major milestone.

While a lot of people beyond existing darcs users were aware of the 1.0 release
(we had coverage on Slashdot...), a well-publicised 2.1 release may be first
some people hear about the benefits of Darcs 2.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/