[darcs-users] darcs patch: Make FileName.drop_dotdot work with abso... (and 2 more)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri Sep 26 15:29:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Dmitry Kurochkin <
dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Dmitry Kurochkin
> <dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> [skip]
> >>
> >> Dmitry's code tells us that if we are calling ioAbsolute on a file, then
> >> we must get its parent directories' ioAbsolute name.  One question: what
> >> happens if the file in question is "/foo"?  Does super_name do what we
> >> expect?
> >
> > Yes. I did not test it. But is should work fine - super_name returns
> > '.' in this case.
>
> Actually, after thinking on this a bit more, it is broken for "/foo"
> paths. super_name "/foo" returns an empty string, not "." as I
> expected (and even if it returned "." that would be wrong).
>
> I will send a patch to make super_name work with "/foo" paths after
> latest David's FileName patches hit the repo.
>
> Do I understand it correctly that after 2.1.0 release we are going to
> get rid of FileName module (that one that is not in Darcs/Patch)? Are
> we going to use System.FilePath or smth else?

One thing that hinders darcs adoption of System.FilePath is that we have no
assurance of where our homegrown ad-hoc solution matches that of the now de
facto solution (System.FilePath) and no one likes the thought of
regressions.

This of course is a huge hint that someone should sit down with both
modules, QuickCheck and HUnit, and then write code that tests the common and
corner cases to see where the two modules diverge.  If someone did this
work, we'd going into a transition with quite a bit more knowldge and also
confidence.

One thing we have to be cautious about is that we continue to interpret the
paths stored in patches the same way we always have.  Otherwise, applying
patches with a copy of darcs, post refactor, could lead to corrupt
repositories.  This is a worst case scenario, but I think it's why we're
hesitant to jump on the de facto wagon.

Jason