[darcs-users] How do you rename a patch with amend-record?

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Sat Apr 4 23:12:35 UTC 2009

Ashley Moran wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2009, at 16:23, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
>> When you edit the long comment with darcs amend-record
>> --edit-long-comment , the first line is in fact the name (or short
>> description) of the patch.
>
> Thanks!  I tested this and it works.
>
> I find this really non-intuitive though.  I'd really like a way to do
> inline patch renaming via --edit-description, like the way you first
> enter a patch name.

I agree. I found this quite unintuitive, even a hassle, when I learned
darcs. Sometimes you don't have a $DISPLAY in Unix. Then some
obscure 'default' editor comes up (this depends on system configuration and
is not always appropriate to change, for instance when using shared
accounts) which I don't even know how to exit from. I'd like to have a
switch that just starts the command line editor.

Would a patch be accepted that adds another switch to amend-record
(e.g. --edit-name)? The idea is that this starts only the line editor, and
presents the old patch name to be edited.

Cheers
Ben