[darcs-users] How do you rename a patch with amend-record?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 00:43:23 UTC 2009

Ashley Moran <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> writes:

> I've just filed a bug report for this [issue1415] so I won't repeat
> everything.  But basically, the help says to use `darcs amend-record
> -- edit-description`, which doesn't work.  Is there a way to rename a
> patch with unrecording it?

It works for me, and I'm probably the one that wrote that help text.
If you only want to change the patch description, you can use amend -m.
The transcript below shows both cases in action.

    $ with-temp-dir
    with-temp-dir: entering directory `/tmp/with-temp-dir.fPVx9c'
    This directory will be deleted when you exit.
    $ darcs init
    $ touch x
    $ darcs rec -lam text
    Finished recording patch 'text'
    $ darcs ame --edit
    Sun Apr  5 10:39:59 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
      * text
    Shall I amend this patch? [yNvpxq], or ? for help: y

    205
    1d
    1i
    other text
    .
    210
    Finished amending patch:
    Sun Apr  5 10:40:50 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
      * other text
    $ darcs ame -m 'other text again'
    Sun Apr  5 10:40:50 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
      * other text
    Shall I amend this patch? [yNvpxq], or ? for help: y

    Finished amending patch:
    Sun Apr  5 10:42:27 EST 2009  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
      * other text again
    $