[darcs-users] How do you rename a patch with amend-record?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 00:49:53 UTC 2009

Ashley Moran <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> writes:

> On 4 Apr 2009, at 16:23, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
>> When you edit the long comment with darcs amend-record
>> --edit-long-comment , the first line is in fact the name (or short
>> description) of the patch.
>
> Thanks!  I tested this and it works.
>
> I find this really non-intuitive though.  I'd really like a way to do
> inline patch renaming via --edit-description, like the way you first
> enter a patch name.  If nothing else, maybe --edit-description should
> be an alias for --edit-long-comment?

Why does Darcs even have an --edit-long-comment switch?  AFAIK the term
"long comment" is meaningless in Darcs -- there are only patch names and
patch descriptions.

Glancing at the source it seems to me that only AmendRecord and Record
use --edit-long-comment, and in the same fashion as other commands use
--edit-description.  Therefore it seems like a good idea to me to make
--edit-long-comment a hidden alias for --edit-description.