[darcs-users] Fwd: Darcs bug (Neil Mitchell)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Apr 7 21:37:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:34:41 +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> What happens is that with the --partial flag, darcs gets only the
> patches up from the new tag on.  But with the --tag flag, darcs tries to
> unapply patches in from the new tag to the old tag, patches which it
> simply has not fetched.  It sounds like what darcs really ought to do
> is to grab checkpoints which are early enough to cover the tag you want
> to fix.

Now, I'm not saying this necessarily the right way to go forward, but an
alternative possibility is just to chalk this up as a known bug with the
old fashioned repositories (notably with --partial), not fix it and
instead try to push people to use more hashed repositories.

For example, it would be good if we could get hashed clones of these GHC
libraries on code.haskell.org.  With the hashed version, you would be
using --lazy instead of --partial, which is more robust.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9