[darcs-users] Data Integrity

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:41:13 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Daniel Carrera's message of Thu Apr 09 15:33:20 +0200 2009:
> Hello,
>
> I tried using Monotone for a while, but I have now gone back to Darcs. I
> just find it so convenient to make change A, then B, then C, and then
> decide I want to modify or delete A and I can just do it. It's great!
>
> But I do wish that Darcs had the integrity guarantees that Monotone has
> (and apparently Git and Mercurial too). Does anyone know if there has
> been any work in this area? It looks like a difficult problem. If you
> can re-order patches, as you can with Darcs, I can't immediately see how
> you can make a checksum that will work correctly whether a repository
> has patches AB or patches B'A'.

Although making a checksum when tagging is fairly easy and darcs should
have an option to insert the hash in the tag description (or make it
the default).

I would guess that using the pristine hash for this purpose would be fine,
in this case this is as simple as :

darcs tag $(head -n 1 _darcs/hashed_inventory | cut -d: -f2)

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Pouillard