[darcs-users] Theory of Patches

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Fri Apr 10 14:31:43 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
>> Oh no, it's fine, I like where you are going with this. And maybe I
>> can contribute something. For example, have you given any thought to
>> using a content management system like Drupal?
>
> Yes, and my thought is "no".  I can see the benefit of a CMS for, say, a
> news agency or the PR arm of a large company.  I can't see any benefit
> of a CMS for FOSS project with only a dozen regular contributors, of
> which only two or three ever touch the user documentation.

The first benefit is that a Drupal site will have nice navigation with a
menu, a side bar, a nice professional-looking theme, etc. It'll be
better for the user, and not any worse for contributors.

> In my experience, CMSes are very hard to use (compared to editing source
> files in a VCS),

I think Drupal is very easy to use.

> and they tend to have poor support for any output
> format other than HTML.

This is a legitimate concern. But we are talking about a website here. I
am not suggesting that you replace TeX with Drupal.

> I've also seen several CVE notices for moodle lately, which IIRC is the
> basis for drupal (or is it the other way around)?

What the heck?!!  No! Drupal and Moodle are totally unrelated. Where did
you get this idea? As far as I'm concerned, Moodle is not even a CMS.
Moodle is used to make "courses" for teaching at a school. That has
nothing to do with making a generic website.

> Contrariwise, my experience of CMSs, particularly those run by small
> FOSS communities, is that they spend so much time pissing about getting
> stuff like breadcrumbs working that they forget to produce any actual
> content.

Jesus, what CMS were you using? With Drupal breadcrums are automatic and
the navigation side bar is simple. In any case, we wouldn't put every
possible link on the side bar. You would put some major categories and
sub categories.

I can have a Drupal site setup with a nice theme and navigation and some
basic configuration in 30 minutes.

Daniel.