[darcs-users] Theory of Patches

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Apr 10 19:29:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Eric Kow wrote:
>> Being a work in progress, camp should probably be left to evolve on its
>> own.  They need access to lots of fancier tools, in particular, LaTeX
>> for math typesetting and Coq for proving things (with an interesting use
>> of what seems to be Literate Coq).  It doesn't stop us from grabbing
>> bits and pieces from them as time goes on, for example, the more stable
>> parts of its terminology.
>
> Ok. We can just grab bits and pieces. But I'd hope that the Darcs site
> become updated enough that there's no need to point people to Camp to
> learn about the theory of patches.

One point here is that Camp's theory of patches is by far the best
documented and understood (by anyone but David) of any patch algebra
we've had so far. It's not precisely what's implemented in darcs 2,
though, so we have to be clear on the distinction if we pull bits of it
into the Darcs site.

Cheers,

Ganesh