[darcs-users] Get ready to sprint! (Hac5 is almost upon us)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Apr 11 09:23:32 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm forwarding Sean Leather's message, mostly to remind everybody to get ready
for the darcs hacking sprint!  The following mail has requests for volunteers
as well as a checklist for all participants.

Looking forward to seeing you in Utrecht! (or #darcs, or on the mailing list)

Eric

Volunteers needed

- photographer

- reporter (I could do this, but if somebody else wants to help, great!)

- patch reviewers (if you only have a limited amount of time and won't
  be able to hack on anything, this may be the job for you, or if you
  need coding breaks).

- build slave operators

Participant's checklist

If you are participating in the sprint in any way, please do the
following:

1. Register for Hac5, and add yourself to the attendee list
   and darcs project

2. Get a community.haskell.org account
   http://community.haskell.org/admin/account_request.html

3. Tell Eric what your code.haskell.org login is if you have
   not done so already.  I plan for us to have lots of little thematic branches
   under
     http://code.haskell.org/darcs/sprint

4. Make sure you can build the latest darcs
    darcs get http://darcs.net
    cabal configure
    cabal build

5. Make sure you can run the darcs buildbot instance
     darcs get http://code.haskell.org/darcs/buildbot
   This should be painless.  Just copy-and-paste the
   quickstart instructions.  My hope is that we can have
   buildbots (masters and slaves) running over the sprint,
   one for each branch at least.

6. Note what you're thinking of working on, on the wiki.  This doesn't commit
   you to anything; it just gives us an idea what's going on.

Projects so far

http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/Sprints/2009-04

* Darcs-2 Fundamentals
      o zlib issue - DuncanCoutts (at least making the new zlib library)
      o issue701 forensics - EricKow
      o documenting Darcs.Patch.Real (issue701) - EricKow
      o http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1327
      o gz auditing - ThorkilNaur
      o commute properties - maybe GaneshSittampalam
      o type witness cleanup - BenMoseley
      o minimal patch context generation and hashing - maybe ArjanBoeijink
* Camp/Darcs-3
      o IanLynagh
      o ArjanBoeijink
* Performance
      o hashed-storage - PetrRockai
      o filecache - BenediktSchmidt
      o life without compressed patches - costs? benefits? PetrRockai
      o packs: PacksSpecification. Caution: please implement within hashed-storage!
      o Benchmarking - volunteer needed
            + see StandardDarcsBenchmarks
            + slowfs
            + visualisation
* Testing
      o Quick testsuite that runs in less than 5s - ReinierLamers
      o Better QuickCheck testing framework - ReinierLamers
            + Easily define quickcheck properties anywhere in darcs source
            + Control which properties get checked using command-line flags
            + Use HPC to measure coverage
* ProbablyEasy bugs
      o http://tinyurl.com/darcs-probablyeasy
* Features