[darcs-users] darcs patch: Refactor Darcs homepage. (and one more).

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Apr 11 22:07:43 UTC 2009

Good points, Stephen.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 02:07:50 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > * Amazing patch management. You commit patch A then B then C. You decide
>  > to modify or delete A. Other SCMs say "no can do". Darcs says "no problem!".

So I don't want to turn this thread into a darcs-vs-git affair.  My
desire is to try and help us refine our thinking about marketing.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, I decided to run this example
from Jason's Master's Thesis, the idea I'm hoping to convey being that
precision is important not just because of what it lets you do cleanly,
but because of what misleading things it lets you avoid.  I guess it
would be hard to communicate this clearly though...  The idea is that we
want to merge a file swap change with a change that modifies one of the
files.  Does the right thing happen?  I think Zooko may have had an
example like this too...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may make sense to think in
terms of precision, and not just in terms of flexibility.

mkdir gitstuff
cd gitstuff
git init
touch x y