[darcs-users] My first submission

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Sun Apr 12 12:06:31 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm sending a patch for the new Gitit site. This is my first submission
to the project, please be kind (I'm looking at you Trent). Some notes:

1. This is not meant to be complete. I just want to inform people as to
where I'm going with the site.

2. Please use the attached template.html. It'll give you a better idea
of what I have in mind.

3. The most interesting parts of my submission are:

* Download.page - Intended as a new download page. It merges content
from several current pages and is hopefully simpler and clearer than the
current pages.

* Front Page.page - A proposal for the front page.

* I use the term "Smart Patches" instead of "Theory of Patches" in the
front page. I think that "Theory of Patches" is intimidating whereas
"Smart Patches" sounds very positive and is fairly accurate too. I still
use the term "Patch Theory" in pages that are meant for people who want
to look deeper.

* In light of this, "Smart Patches.page" is a basic introduction to
patch theory intended for a regular darcs user. From there, the users
who want to learn more are directed to a section that discusses Patch
Theory in more depth.

* The patch theory section:

Patch Theory/Index.page
Patch Theory/Intro.page
Patch Theory/Examples Revisited.page

This is where the rest of the patch theory documentation is to live. It
builds upon the concepts introduced in the Smart Patches page.

* There is an important error in my submission. The second example,
which you can see discussed in "Sample Patches" and "Examples Revisited"
is wrong (it was right with the darcs 1 format). I intentionally leave
it, so you can see what I was trying to do. I hope that someone else can
suggest a better example that I can use in its place.

Daniel.