[darcs-users] more darcs marketing

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:20:09 UTC 2009

Eric Kow wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:50:32 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>
>> Another thing I like is that if I'm working on feature X and my boss
>> tells me that he wants feature Y tomorrow, I can accommodate without
>> even making a branch (feature Y being just a small change).
>>

> Mark Stosberg invented the term 'Spontaneous Branch':
>   http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/SpontaneousBranches
> Is that what you're talking about?

I though he meant things like git stash
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/git-stash.html) or
mercurial queues. I use darcs revert/unrevert for subset of these things
sometimes. Though a bit dangerous because last time I read about it, it
was not well specified when the option to correctly unrevert is lost.

Spontaneous branches seem more heavy since if you want to use them
locally you actually need to make a clone which is not good sometimes
since it typically means longer compiles.

The only thing which still makes me follow darcs (or I should rather
follow camp for this) is that it has at least some theory which gives
you a great potential for future. Just a trivial example: imagine syntax
aware patches - formating change would not ever cause a conflict! ...
would be cool to have some support from an editor here too some
formating defaults etc. But I think more than simple syntax aware
patches could be done. It is a pity I do not have time to spend time
with this now. If I'll find some time to spend on a VCS it hardly could
be git/mercurial, but camp/darcs have a good chance.

Otherwise, AFAIK git or mercurial (possibly with extensions) are better
from all points of view now. OK, I do not really know how good is e.g.
git's cherry picking extension (I rarely use it even in darcs). But look
for example at patch commutation. One would expect darcs to be better
here, but git allows you to do it with its rebase command even for
conflicting patches. Darcs does it automatically but only for
non-conflicting patches (a pity).

Any list (on some web page possibly?) of features where darcs is better
now (when compared to git/mercurial).

Peter.