[darcs-users] more darcs marketing

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Mon Apr 13 06:24:33 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

Hi Eric,
Eric> But I think we can do it!  At the very least, I think we can do a
Eric> better job making it clear to the world why we work on darcs, what
Eric> makes it different.  Maybe it shouldn't be about why darcs is
Eric> better, or why you should use it, but why we need to keep working
Eric> on it and what having a working theory of patches can do for you.

Let me share my $0.02...how I presented darcs to some LyX user in '06...

It started with the
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/34681 thread on which
I replied:

> Never went deep into CVS and didn't want to fiddle SVN - not bringing
> much new stuff.

> Otoh, I can heartily recommend darcs (http://darcs.net/). One can
> start after 5 mins.

> Very nice thing that it does not have lot of commands and the command
> set is pretty orthogonal.

> All in all, it is the first RCS which was simple enough to be
> regularly used and not distracting one too much."

Few days later I got this reply:

> "Just wanted to say thanks for this!  I've been using CVS (for years
> and years) and SVN (couple of years) and have never been entirely
> happy with either. I've now played with darcs for a few days and it
> meets all my needs perfectly!!

> So, thanks!"

Then I replied:

> I'm glad you're enjoying darcs and having our projects under rcs is a
> great asset. Share with others colleagues!

And got this reply:

> oh, I do!  In particular, I make the people working with me use rcs
> and although they initially think it's a pain in the *ss, after a few
> weeks they come and thank me for making them use it!

So, I'm sure the above shows one field where the sun of Darcs really
shines strongly, i.e. there are (still) lot of people not using any rcs
for their writings...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D