[darcs-users] Theory of Patches

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon Apr 13 09:17:09 UTC 2009

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Max Battcher wrote:
>> Certainly my experiences and my opinions are my own, but I would
>> appreciate it if you let go of your argument now, because I certainly
>> back up Trent with a firm -1 on Drupal adoption for darcs sites.
>
> But I stopped promoting Drupal ages ago. Eric politely gave good reasons
> to go for gitit and I accepted. But Trent wasn't satisfied with that and
> decided to attack something he wasn't familiar with simply as a knee
> jerk reaction and at a few points it came across as a personal attack.

To expand on this (sorry for the extra email) I see the merits of gitit
and I see it has features that are especially interesting to this
project. A CMS is a tool with its own set of features and it can do many
things that would be too hard or impractical with gitit. That doesn't
make one better than the other. There are use cases where one is more
appropriate and I have no problem accepting that gitit fits darcs better
and indeed have been working with gitit since Friday. What I object to
is the massive sweeping generalization that any CMS is crap and
specifically the unfounded claim that it was hard to setup. Trent
specifically cited difficult setup as one of his main issues with Drupal
even though he clearly didn't know how quick he setup is. I agree with
you Max that the setup is not the most important part. I only wrote
about the setup as a specific response to a specific comment from Trent.
Please keep that in mind. Thank you.

Daniel.