[darcs-users] darcs/git revisited: git on darcs instead of darcs on git?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Apr 13 13:20:49 UTC 2009

All this marketing talk got me wondering: if darcs lets us think
ahistorically because it knows how to reorder patches; git lets
us think historical because it keeps track of the history as a
DAG.

Could we not do both?  Normally when we talk of darcs-git integration,
we think of somehow implementing darcs on top of git.  But what if we
reversed the roles and implemented git on top of darcs?  Let darcs do
the merging, and git just have a high-level view: this is the state of
the repository on time X in branch Y.  My very nebulous idea is that
each node in the DAG would contain a different sequence of patches, the
concrete representation for which would be a darcs inventory file.

Would it be possible to throw together a prototype using darcs posthooks
that took a snapshot of the darcs inventory (via git) on each darcs
operation?  Would this sort of git-on-darcs hybrid system be useful for
anything?

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9