[darcs-users] moin to gitit migration - we're flipping the switch soon!

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Apr 15 13:27:49 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

Just some news on the darcs-gitit migration.

Here are some issues related to this.  I think the blockers have been
fixed, so I'm going to work out how to lock the Moin DB for writing now.

- Converting the moin history to darcs.
  Done 2009-04-13. Thanks, Trent!

- Not viewable in some configurations. (the happstack compression
  bug)

  Fixed 2009-04-15 by upgrading to darcs version of happstack
  and rebuilding gitit as needed

- SLOW
  In progress.  I'm hoping we can help fix some of the issues by
  implementing a --max-count switch during the hackathon and maybe even
  getting the filecache work into darcs.
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue984
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1437

- Syntax still in MoinMoin (whereas we are treating it as RST).
  Conversion in progress.  I have pushed a patch which performs
  an initial conversion of just the front page to RST format.

- Moin database has about 1 month of changes to merge in, probably
  by hand.  In progress

- Our wiki software is named *git*it even though it's using a darcs
  repository.  This may be bad marketing, so we'll have to work out
  a gentle way to dealing with this, probably by reminding folks in
  the template to darcs get the repo

- LICENSING: since we're thinking about it, how about adopting a
  formal license for all new content?  The haskell.org wiki uses
  a "simple permissive license" which is the closest practical
  thing to public domain they could get:

  Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
  this work (the "Work"), to deal in the Work without restriction,
  including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
  publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Work, and
  to permit persons to whom the Work is furnished to do so.

  THE WORK IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
  OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
  MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
  NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
  BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
  ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
  CONNECTION WITH THE WORK OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE WORK.

Thanks!